4.30.2008

Miami Vices

Well, it is safe to say that there were no fiery plane crashes last week and I am back here to give a little "post belated- honeymoon" update.

The trip was amazing. Aruba was more beautiful than I had anticipated...well the beaches were at least! Like most islands, there was poverty and poor living conditions... but the turquoise waters and cool breezes were a fantasy.

Our take off from Logan Airport may have been my worst "take off" to date. Panic definitely sets in whenever I fly, however this time I felt worse than usual. Once we hit the runway and I heard the engines fully kick in, I think I stopped breathing. I squeezed my hands together so tightly my fingers were purple...and yes, I hate to admit it, there were tears. How embarrassing.

Once on the ground in Aruba, things were much better. :) Our weekly activities included drinking Miami Vices (strawberry daiquiris and pina coladas mixed, YUM), reading, napping, and swimming... and drinking some more (hey, it was all inclusive!). Our goal was to relax and that was definitely accomplished. There was no real jet setting around Aruba or exploring the island, which was perfect for us. I achieved the darkest tan of my life as well, which is oh-so-exciting. If anyone is interested in pictures, let me know ;) Although I think the only people who read this have already received them... hmmm.

On Sunday when we got home from our trip, my father informed me that my grandmother was in the hospital and not doing well. That wasn't exactly the news I was expecting to come home to. Unfortunately, things aren't looking to good for her right now. We are just hoping for the best... I have a lot more to say on this subject but am going to wait until I can get all my thoughts together.

So, that is about all from here. It is really rough to leave the beautiful 85 degree weather and land up here where it has been cold and rainy. Each morning at 10 am I expect someone to come into my classroom with a mimosa. If only I could be that lucky.

No comments: