3.03.2008

Tobias Maximillian Doherty

Yes, my second post of the evening. Can you tell I am enjoying my free time since our tournament loss...

Last week, I heard the unfortunate news about Iris Gilmartin. My friend Sheila (Gilly) has had the misfortune of having to put both of her cats (Iris & Max) to sleep only months apart. This is something I truly cannot fathom. I am pretty sure if I were in this situation, I would be heavily tranquilized and strapped down to a bed (maybe Britney would be my roommate!>). But really, my heart breaks for Sheila and her loss. My pets are a huge part of who I am, and I know how hard it is to say goodbye to them. When Sheila had to put Max down, I suggested she do something that I had done when we put Toby down, back in 1997.

We hadn't planned to put Toby down, but we knew his health was fading. A once vibrant (and yes, neurotic) terrier had become a shadow of his former self. We found out soon after he passed that he had cancer. Watching Toby wither away is something that will unfortunately, stick with me forever. One night we were eating dinner, the next thing I knew, I was passing him over to my sister, knowing deep inside that I would never hold him again. A few days before this happened, I had started to journal some of the things that I loved about Toby and would want to remember. Reading back over these memories, even now, brings my love for Toby back. Two nights ago, I sat in bed chuckling to myself as I read over the list of Toby "traits". Ironically, I realized that many of the things I loved most about Toby, are things that Simon does. Of course they have their own quirks, many-many-many quirks, haha, but there are so many similarities... hmm, maybe the correlation between the neurotic tendencies is me. Hmm.

So, in memory of Toby, Max, & Iris, I wanted to share some of the special traits that made Toby (Tobias) so special. The following are a compilation of nicknames, stories, etc... When my mom would say, "Toby, bedtime- go to Lauren's room" and he would take off for my bed; our night-time "fights" when he would growl at me and I would yell at him to get off my pillow and then my mom would come in and break it up haha; when he would bite the waves, or ripples, at the beach; chase the tide; his silhouette from the back with his pointy little ears and the tufts of hair sticking up in between; his eyebrows that poofed out; holding his paws when we cuddled; the way he loved my grandparents and knew when their car pulled in-especially Papa; the way he instinctively attached himself to Mamae after Papa died; no matter what command we gave him, he would just stick out his paw; his shadow when we went for walks; his fear of snapping gum; the way he napped under the Christmas tree; when he would nap with his head on my legs; when we shared (and fought over) my pillow; whenever I cried and hugged him and his hair would get all matted down; the times I would squeeze him so hard he would squeak; when I would tease him with his toy and then bounce it off his head; the way he would make a nest-or bed- for his little monster toy and then place it in there and protect it; when he would take his monster toy for walks around the block; when I would put the red boots on him haha; the day we got him and drove home in the minivan- I was SO scared of him (all 4 lbs of him) that I sat on the floor of the van... but I remember touching his little paw and being amazed at how velvety the bottom was; seeing him in the window and then hearing him run to the back door to greet me; the night he got wedged upside down in between the wall and the bed; the time I was sick and sleeping on the couch and woke up to him lying on my stomach and licking my chin; the look of pure exhilaration he would get on his face when we let him run on the beach; when he had a bath and water would drip down the bridge of his nose and he'd lick it; Tobi won canobi; Toblerone. This could go on forever... so I will stop there...



I'm sure many of you have had a pet at one time or another that meant a lot to you. (Marla, I'm sure you're thinking of Gabby now... haha, Gabby who>!) From Frisky the gerbil, Jaws the goldfish, Hank the hermit crab, Waldo the hamster, & Simon & Toby the terriers- I've had my share! Sorry again Gilly... Remember all the good times and good cuddles :)






No comments: