3.02.2009

I'm baaaack

Well,  I'm back.

I'm sure everyone has been on the edge of their seats awaiting some sort of riveting post from me.  I thought today would be the perfect day, as I sit here on my couch still in my pajamas (watching "Center Stage"), with a smelly dog on my lap, and thoughts of school far-far away.  (This day is really going to suck in June when we make it up. boo)

So, I am hobby hunting.  I'm not sure if I really need a new hobby... I already have many and in true A.D.D. fashion I start one and never finish it before hopping on to another...  A couple years ago I went through this same yearning for a new activity, however, this came during the same semester I was in full time grad school, completing my internship in guidance, planning a wedding, and advising the senior class.  Needless to say, I didn't get any further than a few good intentions and googling badminton groups in the greater Boston area (by the way, still extremely interested in badminton...oh, I'm definitely going to google pickleball groups!)  

I could see this hobby/activity endeavor going in a few directions.  I want to try new things. Find something that excites me.  Something that makes me feel good about myself or that I feel successful at.  I realize that nearly all of my hobbies and activities leave me feeling inadequate. Though, what makes me think that a new hobby wouldn't do the same thing?  I guess we'll find out.  This adventure (oooh, hobby adventure, i like that) falls on the tails of my new outlook.  Ok, maybe this new outlook and attitude on life hasn't fully taken hold, but this here may be what I need to ignite myself.  

What is this new outlook, you may ask?  In my last post, I mentioned briefly about the loss of my sister-in-law, Lindsay.  Experiencing the loss of someone so young definitely makes you think about life in a much different way.  I watched my brother-in-law and his family and felt inspired by their love and support for each other, especially during such a devastating time.  I have always admired his family and been envious of how affectionate they are.  They are the type of people that greet you with a huge, two arm, embrace.  They aren't ashamed of kissing or hugging. Letting people know they are loved.  Along with this, they have a sense of togetherness.  Fun seems to follow them.  The more the merrier.  I listened to them reflect on memories of vacations, spur of the moment celebrations, and endless (hysterical) stories and realized that there is more I want to experience in this life.  Being a carbon copy of my father, I tend to limit my experiences due to technicalities.  For example, everything needing to be planned to the last minute (and planned by me).  Or the possibility of sitting in traffic means something is not worth going to.  I could go on for quite awhile, but I'm not so sure I should let everyone into that part of my mind. haha.  Tim and Lizzie (Danielle too, if she reads this?) are probably nodding because they know this part of my mind all too well... or can relate with it ;)   But, getting back to the point, my eyes were opened.  I want to try and change some things... have more fun... be less rigid... try new things even if I can't be in control of every single aspect of it!  So, this hobby adventure is connected.  Where will it lead.  

Here are some ideas.  Art classes of some sort.  I like to make things (enter concerns about finding a hobby that make me feel good about myself) or create things.  Maybe a jewelry making class?  Or, a photography class?   Or even a knitting class.  Well, probably not. :)   The other direction I would take this is by finding a new physical activity.  Part of me would love to play volleyball again.  But, I've done that.  Maybe something new?  I was really interested in getting into racquetball or squash...  Or maybe a kickball league?  

The biggest challenge is going to be moving this beyond good intentions and taking action.  Although, with probing, last week Tim and I did go to trivia at a local bar. That is a good step for me.  It involved going out on a school night (after 4 pm!)  And, I had fun... and will probably go back again this week!  The fact that it was super casual and there were people there in sweat pants definitely helped the scenario!   

So, any suggestions?  Or anyone interested in jumping on this hobby adventure bandwagon?  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good to have you baaaack

Anonymous said...

Of course I read!