10.17.2008

yes, I am straight... BUT...

…I have a definite girl crush on Madonna.




My sister was lucky enough to score two free tickets to the concert last night… and then lucky for me, she asked me to go with her. I have always enjoyed Madonna’s music, in fact my earliest Madonna memory was when the “Material Girl” video came out and I wanted to badly to be Madonna in the pink dress with the big bow on the back being lifted up by a bunch of guys. I may or may not have practiced the Vogue dance in my room on occasion… but I never would have considered myself a huge fan. Until last night.

After a couple of “Material Girl” martinis at the Grande Canal, I knew that it was going to be a good night. Our dinner conversation centered around all of our favorite Madonna songs and the bar was blasting her greatest hits… As my sister, Page, and I got to our seats our excitement was barely containable… The lights dimmed and the goose bumps popped out. It felt like forever before she came out on the stage, just teasing us. At one point I think I may have just started screaming “BRING HER OUT!!!!!” There is no describing the adrenaline that was pumping when the set started to rotate and then we all saw her… strewn across a huge chair with a cane. How much more idyllic can that get. Madonna dancing with a cane… not like an old persons cane with tennis balls on the bottom… My whole body had the chills.

The show was a nonstop dance party. No wonder this woman works out for four hours a day. She is diesel. I never really thought of her as being such a good dancer, but boy can she move. I would have to say my favorite “move” involved something similar to a thrashing- head banging- hair swirling- thrusting- “going nuts” motion. This may not sound very cool, but trust me, in person it makes you want to be Madonna. My other favorite move would be one that was a combination of walking forward while strutting, skipping, and then jumping up and down with her arm raised up in the air (similar to the way you might raise your arm up when dancing to “Jump Around” by House of Pain).


Hits of the night for me: Borderline. She did a rock version of this song that was really cool. Four Minutes. If only J.T. could’ve popped out from behind one of the props could it have been any better. Like a Prayer. Obviously this would be a big one… it also brought along one of the funniest jokes of the night when Page leaned over and said, “For as fast as those dancers are dancing, Danielle still dancers faster than any of them!” We laughed a lot over that one. (Sorry Danielle, you know I love your double time moves!) The opening with Candy Shop, partly because of the pure adrenaline that came with it, was a high light. But, the surprising song that completely blew the both of us away… La Isla Bonita. She had a Spanish Quartet playing with her and Spanish dancers. Then she and the back up dancers did some round dances. Very. Very. Cool.

The people watching at a Madonna concert is another reason to get a ticket. You could pretty much wear anything and fit in. The seat dancing provided lots of entertainment as well. I’m sure there were people laughing at me and my moves as well… Luckily my signature moves, knee bends and pointing guns, doesn’t require a lot of space, so I was all set. Unlike the girl behind me who had the broadest overhead clap I’ve ever seen. She hit my hands a few times. Strange.


So, that is my recap of the evening. It may sound a little pathetic, but too bad, I’m excited. I’ve been to concerts before, but they have been a little more on the mellow side. I never really jumped up and down, singing at the top of my lungs, sweating my butt off at a Sarah McLachlan concert. There is a definite difference when seeing someone like Madonna. The star quality is obvious. Madonna with that cane in the opening… you just can’t beat that. Maybe Sarah McLachlan needs back up dancers, haha. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I got your text yesterday, I was just waiting for some sort of, "Like a Prayer" reference...

Big G said...

I love how much women like Madonna... In this weird way, i thnik she deserves a lot of credit for the advancement of equal rights. I love how much she used to be crushed back in the day for being controversial, yet she opened doors for so many women. Granted, her sex book was not a career highlight and neither was the Carlos leon era, but she deserves respect for putting herself out there.